Monday, October 23, 2006

Reading, reading, reading........

Now that the proposal is completed, I am going to concentrate on reading and researching in order to create a theoretical structure that will uphold my empirical study. As stated in a previous post, there are certain books and sources which I intend to read. I will be making a list of useful quotes that I will publish on my blog so that I have access to them at any stage throughout my Independent Study.

Clive has also lent me the book Lakoff, G 2004 Don't think of an Elephant! Know your Values and Frame the Debate. Vermont: Chelsea Green Publishing which I have been looking at over the weekend. Although not directly looking at the language used in childcare, it looks at the use of metaphors and the language involved in politics. This can therefore, be related to my Independent Study. Useful quotes and citings are to follow.....

1 comment:

Clive McGoun said...

Pleased to see that you have started Lakoff and that you are focussing on the analytical framework he uses rather than the substantive content of his work in politics.

I was thinking yesterday how the discourses of childhood have changed dramatically in the last 30 years. With demographic changes, (in)fertility, changing patterns of the family unit, etc., we now have this idea of the 'prized child'. I'm not sure where this term comes from - it might be Giddens. It's certainly a construction and it would be interesting to see where it ties in to discourses coming from the present government concerning childhood.