Monday, November 20, 2006

A change in direction….

After reading Giddens and Lakoff, I have decided to focus upon the idea of children within society of today and how the idea of a family unit and the reasoning for having children has changed over time. Specifically, in relation to the idea of a family being seen as an economic unit and the number of children within a family decreasing over time.

I know this focus has differed from my original aim, however I see it as progress rather than a complete change. The process of my Independent Study so far has led me to take this path of direction and I feel I will be able to include and discuss this positive progress within my final piece of my Independent Study.

Books to read and summarise:
  • Elkind, D 1979 The Child and Society. New York: Open University Press

  • Woodhead, M, Light, P & Carr, R 1991 Growing up in a Changing Society. London: Routledge

  • Cunningham, H 2005 Children and Childhood in Western Society Since 1500. Great Britain: Pearson Education Limited

  • Morgan, P 1996 Who need Parents? The effects of childcare and early education on children in Britain and USA. London: The IEA Health and Welfare Unit

No comments: